Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Coloring a Wheeling and Lake Erie SD40-2

One of the questions I often get is, "I like to draw trains, however, I have not been able to find a way to color them on paper."
I draw my locomotives on hot press illustration board.  Hot press illustration allows several layers of ink to dry well.  Hot press illustration board also allows several chances for erasures should you make a mistake while drawing.
Here we see my Wheeling and Lake Erie SD40-2 drawing as I have colored the orange and have begun to trim the black.  It is important to make tight edges along the lighter colors before filling in darker colors.  With ink, once black is colored over orange, it is permanent.
Even with darker colors such as black, it is important to do at least two coats.  You will find the ink dries evenly, has less brush strokes, and gives the luster of a locomotive.  Enjoy drawing trains.


No comments:

Post a Comment