Sunday, July 24, 2016

Seeing My First Missouri Pacific Engine in Sacramento, California.

When I was growing up, my hometown of Davis, California was home rails to Southern Pacific.  Although I credit seeing Southern Pacific's daily trains to much of my appreciation for railroading, I often liked to venture to Sacramento to see the trains of rival Union Pacific.
The early 1980's were a sea of Union Pacific SD40-2s with the occasional C30-7.  SD60's and Dash-8's were just beginning to arrive.
One day, as a double-stack train raced through Del Paso Heights, to my excitement I saw a recently acquired Missouri Pacific SD40-2.  I watched as the blue locomotive headed east under the I-80 overpass and out of sight.  That was the first I saw of Missouri Pacific as a California railroad enthusiast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment