Sunday, July 26, 2015

Altoona, Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Railroad

In the mid-1990s, I called Altoona, Pennsylvania home as I studied the Pennsylvania Railroad and the railroads of the Northeast. I had read about Altoona in Don Ball, Jr's book about the Pennsylvania railroad and wanted to experience firsthand this key city that had been home to the Juniata Shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
I lived in Altoona during the era of Conrail.  Very quickly I became familiarized with the surrounding communities such as Hollidaysburg which housed the car shops which were still vital to Conrail.  I saw firsthand what a feat it was to cross the Alleghany Mountains at the famous Horseshoe Curve.
I saw in Altoona's architecture and industry the history of the Pennsylvania Railroad.  Altoona's great rail access makes it home to many well-loved small and mid-sized companies such Boyer Candies and Benzel's Pretzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment