Saturday, August 6, 2011

Driving West Across Nebraska to California

A summer rain fell towards the I-29 interchange at Omaha.  Mom and I headed west towards California.  Railroads always seemed to pull us to the East Coast, but life always seemed to pull us back to California.  As the rain fell, I thought of Nebraska Ahead.
The southward hook of freeway towards Lincoln and the hope that the rain would clear up or at least maintain a light pace.  The clouds did not look ominous.  Beyond lay North Platte and Union Pacific's massive hub that brings trains from all corners of the West.
I thought of California, still several days away and the West that we had to cross.  The wide open prairies that roll away from I-80 and ease into distant mountains of Wyoming, leading into the salt flats and open deserts of Utah and Nevada.  Again, we headed west.

No comments:

Post a Comment