Sunday, November 20, 2011

American Rails Chapter 5-Casey's Next Job

Casey knew a hardware store on Ferry Street.  A good man ran it.  He usually bought four or five brushes.  The bell on the door clanged as Casey walked in.
    “Howdy, Hank,” Casey said.
    “Good to see you, Casey,” Hank said.
    “How’s business been?”
    “Can’t complain.  Could use your help.”
    “Sure, in what way?”
    “A man from the railroad came in the other day.  The Gulf Mobile & Ohio across town.  Said they were painting there offices.  Needed a man who could paint it.  I thought of you.  Funny you should show up.”
    “I could use a few extra dollars.”
    “Man by the name of Johnson.  Here is his phone number.”
    “I’ll give him a call.”
    “Said he could pay the person with an annual pass on the railroad.  That might be of use to you.  I know you could use the money.
    “I could, but I could stand to expand my territory a little, too.  See where this Gulf, Mobile & Ohio goes.  That could be great.”
    “You go see him.  Johnson’s his name.”
    “Thanks for the tip, Hank.”
    “As I said, Casey, I thought of you when he came in.”

No comments:

Post a Comment