Friday, January 29, 2016

Why We Need Trains Number 1- Railroading Holds Much Promise

I will begin my "Why We Need Trains" series with a simple story, my story and how it relates to others.  Trains inspired me to think big.  Trains inspired me to see America and its communities.  Trains inspired me to be creative, to solve problems and to work on large projects at a very early age.
Trains inspired me to work with those outside of my peer group.  I listened to the advice of my parents as to how to best draw trains and how to build upon my drawings.  I worked up the courage to give my drawings to train crews which built self-confidence in my work as I saw the joy on their faces.  Kind letters I received from many railroad presidents led to my becoming a railroad artist. 
I see a new generation filled with this joy for railroading.  Many whom I have met now work for the railroad.  Many more are destined to be engineers, conductors, civil engineers, software engineers and designers of tomorrow.  I am grateful for the promise the railroad industry has brought me, and, I am grateful for the promise it brings to so many more.  This is why we need trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment