Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Old Green Truck

The Old Green Truck got us everywhere when I was a kid.  It took us to the lumberyard, to the toy store and on camping trips.  It was always fun when my dad would say, "Do you guys want to go somewhere in 'The Old Green Truck.'"
The Old Green Truck was a 1969 Chevy pick-up, and whenever I saw the Zimmer camper shell that said, "Elmira, New York," that seemed like a far off place.  It just seemed like another world to me.  My world existed of Grandma Fletcher's house and Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, but where was this place called New York.
I asked my dad.  When he pointed on a map, I thought that the United States was the whole world.  My dad and mom had not only been to this place, but they had lived there.  "You mean the road in front of our house takes you all of the way to New York?" I asked.
"And everywhere in between," my dad said.  At three years old, the world just seemed so big.

No comments:

Post a Comment