Saturday, November 19, 2011

American Rails Chapter 2- Casey

Jack was fascinated by the people he met on the train. Minutes turned to hours on the train. Towns big and small all had their stories. At this time of year, much of the way glistened under a fresh blanket of snow.
As the Banner Blue rolled onward, Jack gazed at passing freight yards and side tracks, where idle cars awaited there call to the morning local. Jack began a conversation with the man across the isle.
"Headed home for Christmas, you?" Jack said.
"I take the Wabash whenever I can," the man said. "Name's Casey.
"I take these trains all of the time. Chicago down to St. Louis and over to Indianapolis. Mighty good ride, the Wabash; they treat you right. Monon's good too, when I head on down to Indy. You get down that way much?"
"Sometimes," Jack said.
"Good town, Indy. I try to get there whenever I can."
 
Jack headed to the diner at Decatur. Carloads of grain sat on inbound tracks at the mills. At this key junction, the crew changed. Passenger's debarked, and many began their journey.
"How 'bout them Bears?" said Casey. "I hope they make it all of the way."
Jack had only caught a game or two at Soldier. "Yep," he said. But we've got to look out for the Lions."
"Yeah, them Lions look pretty go...od this year. Detroit is where its at. You seen the new Dodges this year."
"I'm thinking about getting one. After Christmas, of course."
"That's a pretty nice car, that Dodge."
"Yeah, it is."
"My dad had one. Used to drive us up to Terre Haute in it. See his mom. Good car that Dodge."
Highball sounded, and the Banner Blue began its journey once again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment